Because this is what we do on New Year’s. Tanja and I rang in the 2014 new year manning telescopes in our driveway.
Even with 78 exposures, the noise came through because the night was so warm at our home in Johannesburg, South Africa. It took quite a bit of noise reduction work to get this looking decent. Still, I’m very impressed at what I could get with a DSLR in the light pollution of Johannesburg.
- Data acquired on 2014-01-01
- 78x 3minutes, 3.9 hours total exposure time
- Calibrated with dark, flat, and bias frames
- Orion 8″ Astrograph
- Baader MPCC coma corrector
- Canon t2i / 550D DSLR (Baader IR modded)
- Celestron CGEM DX mount
- Orion SSAG + 50mm finder/guider
- Data acquired with BackyardEOS
- Guiding with PhD
- Calibration, integration, and post-processing with PixInsight
- Final touch up with Lightroom